I saw the name listed on the request for proposal this afternoon. The community group is one that is well known in a city near me and the facility they are attempting to construct is simply breathtaking. It would be quite a good contract...if it were to be awarded to my firm. But there is that name. Staring at me...
It all began long ago with my interest in enrolling in nursing school, following two starts of college and two ends, finally deciding I really didn't want to be an accountant. I had taken a year off following high school to decide what it was I really wanted to do, and had taken a few temp jobs to meet the expenses of living on my own. Once I realized how very much it would take for me to put myself through school while maintaining my independence, I began a rather feverish search for grants to cover some of my costs. The local library, plus the school I had chosen were helpful in providing sources of grants and scholarships to assist me. It was through one of these sources that I met him.
He wasn't the first to enjoy my naivete', but he was close to the last.
The application process for this scholarship, as I remember so clearly, was lengthy in comparison to some. An essay of my hopes, my dreams for the future was composed. I had always been somewhat wordy in my responses to essay questions so this was a breeze for me. A picture was required. I didn't quite understand the need, but complied...adding a photo taken of me the year before as a finalist in a local beauty contest. It was said by the judges of the contest that my eyes showed energy...combined with innocence.
By the time my phone rang weeks later, I would have forgotten my application to the "Junior League of XX." And, who would have thought that a call to my apartment at 10:00 pm would involve that photo?
"Hello?""Is Susan there?"
"I'm sorry. You must have the wrong number." (my standard answer has never changed by the way)
"This isn't Susan?" The male voice strong, yet soft.
"No. My name is Jxxxxxx."
"Hi Jxxxxxx. I'm Bobby. Sorry to bother you." and the phone disconnected.
The next night, the call came earlier. "Jxxxx, this is Bobby."
"Bobby?"
"Yes. I decided I'd rather talk with you."
to be continued....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment